Sunday, February 18, 2018

VENUS series: No. 1

VENUS: Olympus/Night  2017  oil on canvas  20" x 16"

This is the first picture of the VENUS series, don't know why I started but I'm determined to finish it; a series is kind of a trap. You can only exhibit it once, if someone buys a picture integral to the concept: like this one.

Why Venus? She rules my life and yours; every man wants her and every woman wants to be her. Nice line for a perfume, but I'm a painter. I've got about four of this series in progress and am waiting for more ideas. The concept such as it is, is Venus' place into my life in this century (how a gallerist would find that interesting I don't know). 'Birth' takes place in my childhood bedroom, sort of, but I'm leery of making jokes on the time/space dichotomies.

Venus is here summiting Mount Olympus in the middle of the night. This is the one canvas in my life where the initial picture in my mind of what it could look like, at the end it happened! I gave up half way through, you can't imagine my surprise. Am I an artist?

No comments:

Post a Comment